Re: Streamlining the use of Salsa CI on team packages

On 19-09-10 14 h 09, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Gregor Riepl:
>>
>>> I am not a fan of pointing to a moving target with the "include" statement:
>>>
>>> include:
>>>   - https://salsa.debian.org/salsa-ci-team/pipeline/raw/master/salsa-ci.yml
>>>   -
>>> https://salsa.debian.org/salsa-ci-team/pipeline/raw/master/pipeline-jobs.yml
>>>
>>> "master" will change, and that can break CI jobs where nothing in the
>>> local repo has changed.
>>
>> It does have pros and cons.
>>
>> The good: Additional build/verification steps or even automatic deployment can
>> be added by the Salsa team at some point without requiring changes to each
>> repository.
>>
>> The bad: As you mentioned, a moving target can be bad and cause inadvertent
>> build failures and other issues that are out of the hands of maintainers.
>>
>> The ugly: Pulling in external scripts always bears a certain risk. They may go
>> away at some point or cause potentially dangerous side effects.
>>
>> However, I do think that a standardised CI pipeline is very useful. Consider
>> that the buildd infrastructure also uses a standardised build process that
>> packages cannot simply get away from. If this process is replicated on Salsa,
>> with an external script or not, people will quickly get a "glimpse" of what
>> would happen on buildd. The need to manually adapt the CI script every time
>> something changes in the buildd process is a heavy burden to bear and will
>> easily lead to people "forgetting" to update their scripts. That kind of
>> defeats the purpose.
>>
>> Also, consider that the Salsa CI pipeline is not an absolute source of truth,
>> but a tool for developers and maintainers to quickly spot issues with their
>> packages. If an autobuild fails, it's not the end of the world. It just means
>> you have to go check what's going on.
>>

> I totally agree about having a standardized build process and CI
> pipeline.  And I agree that the CI builds are a tool, not the final
> release build process.

I think we all agree on that :)

I'd like to start working on a draft modification to the DPMT and PAPT
to add a part about using Gitlab CI, but I'm not sure what the process
to change those files is...

How were previous modifications dealt with?

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau