Re: 2to3 adds '.' in front dir of "from dir import ..." statements (Was: [MoM] lefse migration to python 3])

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 08:30:20AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I wont comment on the relative import ambiguity problem, as Ghislain
> replied correctly. However, I do want to comment on 2to3.
>
> I generally recommend against using it, in the favor of other tools. For
> example, you can use sixer, which I maintain in Debian, and often used
> (and abused) to do Python 3 conversions. There's also 2to6, which I
> don't know much about, but I've read it works about the same way as
> sixer (which was specifically written for OpenStack).
>
> The advantage is that you'll get a source code that will work on both
> Python 2 and 3. It's generally a way more easy to submit upstream, which
> may not want to loose Python 2 compatibility.
I can add to this that it's non-trivial to convert from six to normal Py3
code, unless there are some tools that I didn't find. And it's really time
to do that, not to convert TO six.

--
WBR, wRAR