Re: 2to3 adds '.' in front dir of "from dir import ..." statements (Was: [MoM] lefse migration to python 3])

On 9/10/19 7:50 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the process of the Python3 migration the package lefse was converted
> using 2to3.

Hi Andreas,

I wont comment on the relative import ambiguity problem, as Ghislain
replied correctly. However, I do want to comment on 2to3.

I generally recommend against using it, in the favor of other tools. For
example, you can use sixer, which I maintain in Debian, and often used
(and abused) to do Python 3 conversions. There's also 2to6, which I
don't know much about, but I've read it works about the same way as
sixer (which was specifically written for OpenStack).

The advantage is that you'll get a source code that will work on both
Python 2 and 3. It's generally a way more easy to submit upstream, which
may not want to loose Python 2 compatibility.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)