Re: 2to3 adds '.' in front dir of "from dir import ..." statements (Was: [MoM] lefse migration to python 3])

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 09:22:06AM +0200, Michael Kesper wrote:
> On 12.09.19 08:30, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > I wont comment on the relative import ambiguity problem, as Ghislain
> > replied correctly. However, I do want to comment on 2to3.
> >
> > I generally recommend against using it, in the favor of other tools.
> >
> > The advantage is that you'll get a source code that will work on both
> > Python 2 and 3. It's generally a way more easy to submit upstream, which
> > may not want to loose Python 2 compatibility.
>
> We should stop caring about that.
> Python2 will be EOL'ed at January 1, 2020 [0].
> Python2 will vanish from next Debian release.
> Please convert into idiomatic Python3 code, that's the sane way going forward.

I agree here.  @Thomas:  We talked about sixer at DebConf (thanks for
the hint in any case).  But I consider the additional dependency it
introduces something I'd like to avoid if possible.  So I first try my
luck with 2to3 (and I admit I observed some surprises which did not made
me that lucky at all) before I'd use sixer as fallback.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de