Re: Webpage to track py2removal bugs & packages

On 2019-09-02, Sandro Tosi wrote:
On 2019-09-02 01:15, Drew Parsons wrote:
Sandro Tosi wrote:
i've prepared a small website,
http://sandrotosi.me/debian/py2removal/index.html, to keep track of
the bugs user-tagged `py2removal`.

It could be useful to add another column counting the Dependencies in
the other direction.

i.e. for all the leaf packages ready for processing, which one should
be given priority?  Which one has the most impact on Dependencies
further down the tree?

I'm afraid i dont understand the question, or maybe it's just a
different process than the one i use.

the main idea (behind the webpage) is that you cant remove a package
unless it doesnt have any reverse-dependency: so if the count it's 0,
you can go ahead and remove it.

if it has rdeps, then you need to address them _first-, and that's
where the rdeps graph comes handy, as it tells you the actual
packages.

Yes, your script counts the dependencies along one direction (rdeps), identifying which packages are ready to be de-python2-ised next.

I'm talking about dependencies in the opposite direction, deps not rdeps. Upstream vs downstream.

My question is, of the 844 packages now currently on rdeps=0 and ready for processing, which one should be processed first? Which one will free up the largest number of upstream packages? Which one gives the biggest bang for buck?

Drew

--
. please CC: me in replies