Re: Investigating the reverse dependencies of python-monotonic.

On 8/13/19 12:38 PM, peter green wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been looking at various python 2 cruft packages (packages no longer
> built by the corresponding source packages) and why they can't be
> cleaned up, I have been looking in a derivative but many of my results
> are also relevant to debian proper. Where relevant I have been filing
> bugs against the reverse-dependencies of these cruft packages, so they
> can be fixed or ultimately removed.
>
> Most such packages have been part of upstream projects that have dropped
> python 2 support, notablly django and openstack. In such cases it is
> pretty clear that the only reasonable way forward is for the reverse
> dependencies to be either removed or migrated to python 3.
>
> One package that stood out from the rest was python-monotonic.
> python-monotonic is maintained by the Debian openstack team, but it
> doesn't seem to be in any way openstack specific, nor does upstream seem
> to have dropped python2 support. It seemed to have a fair few reverse
> dependencies.
>
> python-humanfriendly (has rdeps)
> oz (rc bug filed https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=933509 )
> python-fasteners (has rdeps)
> python-futurist (has rdeps, cruft)
> python-octaviaclient (assumed to be openstack related)
> python-oslo.log (assumed to be openstack related)
> python-oslo.messaging (assumed to be openstack related)
> python-oslo.service (assumed to be openstack related)
> python-oslo.utils (assumed to be openstack related)
> python-tenacity (has rdeps, cruft)
>
> There are also indirect reverse dependencies, (i'm not investigating
> reverse dependencies of packages that are clearly openstack specific here)
>
> python-coloredlogs (via python-humanfriendly, no reverse dependencies)
> python-datalad (via python-fasteners, no reverse dependencies)
> duplicity (via python-fasteners)
> python-oauth2client (via python-fasteners)
> python-oslo.concurrency (via python-fastners, openstack related)
> python-taskflow (via python-fasteners, cruft)
> python-tooz (via python-fasteners, openstack related, cruft)
> python-googleapi (via python-oauth2client)
> python-pypowervm (via python-taskflow, openstack related, cruft)
> python-googleapi-samples (via python-googleapi)
> python-etcd3gw (no rdeps)
> python-gnocchiclient (openstack related, cruft)
>
> If we ignore openstack stuff, python modules and an examples package the
> two main packages left seem to be oz and duplicity, oz seems to have
> very low popcon, but duplicity seems to have a popcon of around 3000 and
> growing.
>
> So the main question seems to be can duplicity be reasonably migrated to
> python 3 and if not is it worth reinstating the python-monotonic binary
> package to save duplicity?

What happened is that I simply uploaded the latest version of OpenStack
from Experimental to Sid. This includes monotonic. It's been a long time
I maintain monotonic because it's used in OpenStack, then other packages
started using it. You may have noticed that it was in Experimental with
Python 2 removed for at least 6 months, just like for Django, giving the
sign that Py2 would soon go away. However, maybe bugs should have been
filled, sorry that I didn't do it in time.

Let's take a look at the situation.

As per Andrey's reply, we can fix duplicity.

>From your report above, if I remove all the OpenStack stuff (which at
this time, should all be only Python 3), the only affected packages
would be:

> python-humanfriendly (has rdeps)
> oz (rc bug filed #933509)
> python-coloredlogs (via python-humanfriendly, no reverse dependencies)
> python-datalad (via python-fasteners, no reverse dependencies)
> duplicity (via python-fasteners)
> python-oauth2client (via python-fasteners)
> python-googleapi-samples (via python-googleapi)

According to the setup.py of python-googleapi in the Github repo, latest
upstream version supports Python 3, so it should be doable to upload a
new version to fix this.

I will remove Python 2 suport from python-oauth2client and
python-fasteners tomorrow.

So, this leaves us only: humanfriendly, oz, python-coloredlogs,
python-datalad. I've uploaded humanfriendly and coloredlogs Py2 removal.
BTW, I believe python-coloredlogs was there as a build-depends of
cyvcf2, which has been fixed on the 1st of august by Andreas Tille.

By all means, let's not play the dance of re-introducting Python 2 when
we can move forward on the right direction.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate this, this is very useful, and
I have to admit that, even though I know how to do the work, I am a bit
lost into knowing from were to begin. The release tracker is not very
helpful in this regard.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)