Re: Side effect of dropping python2 with -doc packages

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your reply.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:40 AM Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:
> Yes, this is the third email on this in the last month, previous two
> didn't get any replies.

Sorry I didn't mean to anger you or be disrespectful in any way. My
apologies if I did.
I was off the list for a bit (because I unsubscribed from all of them
for personal reasons) and didn't find what I was looking for while
searching in the archive.

> I don't think 12.3 mentions source packages or describes what to do when
> there are multiple main subpackages.

That's what I wanted to clarify as there are mention of "package" and
"binary package" I wanted to make sure that package (as not "binary
package") was referring to source package.

> > I see several possibilities on how to handle that:
> >  * leave it as is and it's fine (but doesn't match Policy 12.3)
> >  * overwrite dh_installdocs to pass --doc-main-package
> >  * rename the -docs package to match <source package>-doc and have the
> > ftp-master rm the old one
> >  * have dh_installdocs translate python into python3 package names
> > when looking for the main package
> Note that there are two questions here, about the package name and about
> the file path. For the first question the answer is in
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2019/07/msg00080.html: "Please keep
> the python-foo-doc package. Do not rename it to python3-foo-doc. If
> python-foo was providing documentation: move it to python3-foo or create
> python-foo-doc (not python3-foo-doc!) binary package."

Thanks for pointing out this one, I missed it during my research,

> For the second question, I'm keeping the things as is if the docs are
> installed into /python-foo-doc/ and change /python-foo/ to /python3-foo/
> otherwise. I'm not bumping the compat level so no /python-foo-doc/ to
> /python-foo/ changes occur.

Thanks for the explanation.

Have a nice day,
Joseph