Re: Side effect of dropping python2 with -doc packages

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:16:28AM -0700, Joseph Herlant wrote:
> While tidying up some packages before taking some time off I realized
> that some packages like django-tables had binary packages that took
> the convention of creating -doc packages using <binary package>-doc (a
> very long time ago).
>
> The result was the location of the doc changed from
> /usr/share/doc/python-django-tables2-doc to
> /usr/share/doc/python-django-tables2 with the bump to compat 11.
>
> But now that we dropped the python2 binary package we end up with the
> "main package" not being detected anymore and the doc moved back to
> /usr/share/doc/python-django-tables2-doc.
Yes, this is the third email on this in the last month, previous two
didn't get any replies.

> The way I read the policy, it seems the -doc package should be <source
> package name>-doc. Am I correct to read it this way?
I don't think 12.3 mentions source packages or describes what to do when
there are multiple main subpackages.

> I see several possibilities on how to handle that:
>  * leave it as is and it's fine (but doesn't match Policy 12.3)
>  * overwrite dh_installdocs to pass --doc-main-package
>  * rename the -docs package to match <source package>-doc and have the
> ftp-master rm the old one
>  * have dh_installdocs translate python into python3 package names
> when looking for the main package
Note that there are two questions here, about the package name and about
the file path. For the first question the answer is in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2019/07/msg00080.html: "Please keep
the python-foo-doc package. Do not rename it to python3-foo-doc. If
python-foo was providing documentation: move it to python3-foo or create
python-foo-doc (not python3-foo-doc!) binary package."
For the second question, I'm keeping the things as is if the docs are
installed into /python-foo-doc/ and change /python-foo/ to /python3-foo/
otherwise. I'm not bumping the compat level so no /python-foo-doc/ to
/python-foo/ changes occur.

--
WBR, wRAR