Re: Matplotlib 3.0 - update ok?

On Tue, 2018-10-16 at 10:42 +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> > > Let me ask you this: where is the rush to package this machine
> > > learning
> > > library? Could it wait after the Buster release cycle, where we
> > > might
> > > be in a more comfortable position to upgrade matplotlib?
> > The short answer is yes. The almost as short one is "Conda has it
> > already, use that". The slightly longer answer is that I don't
> > think
> > that this is the right thing for Debian to do. We are then shipping
> > an
> > old version of matplotlib, i.e. oldstable, with a new release of
> > our
> > distribution. I do also think that that long-term support version 2
> > of
> > matplotlib should remain in our distribution. So we would need to
> > find
> > a way to support two versions for the same distribution.
>
> Kind of answering myself - I do not see a rush, either. I was just
> positively surprised about Orange and would like many users to share
> that experience with Buster - not two years later.

Looking at their release history [1], the upstream release cadence is
once a month.

Assuming the freeze takes about three months to complete (quite
optimisticly), will upstream be interested in feedback and bug reports
from 3 releases ago? Maybe.

What about a year later? That would be 15 releases ago. I am not too
sure about it. They'll just ask you to use Anaconda [2], which is the
very first entry in their installation instructions.

Don't you think?

[1] https://pypi.org/project/Orange3/#history
[2] https://orange.biolab.si/download/

Cheers,