Re: Matplotlib 3.0 - update ok?

Hi Ghis,

On 16.10.18 08:30, ghisvail@gmail.com wrote:
On Mon, 2018-10-15 at 22:44 +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
Hello,

I am keeping me busy packaging the Orange machine learning library
that
seems nice (https://orange.biolab.si/#Orange-Features). Now, the
test
routines demand a matplotlib.pyplot module that is not in version 2
that
we feature. Version 3 is the current stable release.
Ack. Thank you for explaining the context.

Now, I am tempted to create a package matplotlib3 instead of forcing
everyone to update from this long term release (see
https://matplotlib.org/).

Any opinions from your sides?
How is that going to work without creating package conflicts?

I suppose  the main module is still named "matplotlib" not
"matplotlib3" in version 3 onwards? So using python3-matplotlib3 would
be a breach of policy.
Yes. We would need to freely interpret that policy in analogy to Debian
libraries e.g. for C/C++ or Java.
Let me ask you this: where is the rush to package this machine learning
library? Could it wait after the Buster release cycle, where we might
be in a more comfortable position to upgrade matplotlib?

The short answer is yes. The almost as short one is "Conda has it
already, use that". The slightly longer answer is that I don't think
that this is the right thing for Debian to do. We are then shipping an
old version of matplotlib, i.e. oldstable, with a new release of our
distribution. I do also think that that long-term support version 2 of
matplotlib should remain in our distribution. So we would need to find a
way to support two versions for the same distribution.

Cheers,

Steffen