Re: input into perl 6 packaging required

Hi Robert!

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 09:21:28PM +0200, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> we are currently thinking about how to package perl 6 modules, some
> background and information at https://wiki.debian.org/Perl6PreCompProposal
>
> Perl 6 does pre-compile modules on loading, a bit like the .pyc files.
> So I would be very glad if you could have a quick look at the wiki page
> above, perhaps you experience could help us. I am also specifically
> interested in your decision to create the .pyc files at package
> installation time, rather than at package build time. What was the
> reason for that? Do you still think it was the right decision? In the
> case of perl 6 the precompiled files depend on a fairly specific version
> of the runtime, so we would need to re-build them quite often...

I think the main reasons for generating .pyc files at install time were:

- Ability to ship “Architecture: all” packages, which reduces load on
  build daemons, mirrors, etc.

- Ability to regenerate all .pyc files for new Python version on users’
  side (it does not take a long time), without need to do binNMUs or
  re-uploads.

And I think it was the right decision, as these reasons still apply.

--
Dmitry Shachnev