Re: [Debian PAPT] Question about salsa repo and packaging

On 2018-09-16 at 01:32:05 -0400, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> > 1. I'd like to revert some changes to the salsa repo for my package, as
> > these changes were never uploaded to Debian and are not superseded by
> > new upstream package. Is it OK to do a "git reset --hard xxxx" to make
> > them disappear in my repository?
>
> You mean do a "git reset --hard" locally and then "git push" the
> modified history?  This is not ideal, but if you're the only one using
> the repository, and if there was no Debian release containing the code
> you're reverting, then I'd say it's OK.

can one be sure that nobody else is using the repository? maybe nobody
in debian, but what about our derivatives? or even our users

if there is a strong need to remove those changes (e.g. for copyright
reasons) I agree that a reset --hard is a reasonable option, but if it's
just to keep the repo clean my personal preference would be for a ``git
revert`` that doesn't break the repo for other users.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''