Re: sphinx-build vs. Python 3

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 04:03:20PM +0300, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> If you depend on python3-sphinx (>= 1.7.5-4~) then most likely the scripts
> will be using Python 3. The opposite will happen only if the user manually
> updated the alternative, and this won’t be the case on a sane build
> environment.

I'm not so sure about this.  I don't remember Policy specifying whether
a build process can make assumptions on the configuration of possible
alternatives, and at any rate I wouldn't bet my build process on that:
after all you talk about "sane build environment", but I don't remember
any kind of consensus that said building on your dirty daily system is
not supported.

I'm personally biased as a member of the Reproducible Builds team that
believe any possible variable in the environment must not affect the
build result, this sounds like yet another one to me.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :