Re: RFS: pcapy/0.11.3-1 [ITA]

On Friday, August 10 2018, eamanu wrote:

> Hello Sergio,

Hi Emmanuel,

> I am really sorry for the delay.

No need to apologize :-).

> I finish the update of pcapy package. I push the commit, but is on
> UNRELEASED status.
>
> Please, check if whole the things are ok, and then I will make change to
> unstable status on d/changelog

Well, I still see a few problems.  Sorry about that.  Here's the list of
things I spotted:

1) On d/copyright, the license specified for the project is wrong.
According to the LICENSE file, the project is released under a slightly
modified version of the Apache license.  This is something really
important to get right, otherwise the ftp-masters will certainly reject
the package.  You listed the license as being "GPL-2", but the text is
clearly not GPL-2.

2) Still on d/copyright: as said above, the GPL-2 license is wrong.
However, I think it's also important to mention that the license text is
formatted in a strange/wrong manner.  You have text like this:

 [...]
 Redistribution and use in source  and binary forms, with or without
   modification, are permitted  provided that the following conditions
   are met:

       1. Redistributions  of  source   code  must  retain  the  above
 [...]

The correct format for d/copyright is to indent the text using 1 space,
and to use . (dot) for blank lines.  Like this:

 [...]
 .
 1. Redistributions  of  source   code  must  retain  the  above
 [...]

3) The package uses a *really* old version of debhelper (version 5!).
We're at version 11 already, so you should update both d/compat and
d/control (i.e., depend on debhelp >= 11) to reflect that.

4) You haven't addressed my comment about building a Python 3 package.
IMO you should really do that; lintian will warn you if you don't.

5) You haven't answered my question about why the package has "Suggests:
doc-base".  It seems to be a relic from this very old debhelper; I think
you can safely remove it.

Thanks,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36