Report from the Python BoF @ DebConf18

Hey folks,

Today, we've had a productive BoF session at DebConf18, with around 12 people
in attendance (unfortunately, this was not held in a recorded room).

Here are the raw notes: https://gobby.debian.org/export/debconf18/bof/python

There are two team-wide items that would be of general interest:

1/ We agreed that we would like Python 3.7 as default Python3 in Buster. As this
needs a lot of work still, we set ourselves an internal deadline of October
2018 to assess whether releasing with 3.7 as default is feasible, leaving us
2.5 months to do any followup transitions that would be needed before the start
of the transition freeze.

Matthias will talk to the Release Team with this plan to "pre-book" a
transition slot and make sure this would fit within their freeze plans

Of course, in the meantime, we need to keep pushingupstreams to fix the async
and generator-related issues that arise in 3.7. This also means finding
solutions for edge-cases such as astroid, whose 2.0 branch is the only to
support Py3.7, but also drops 2.x support. We may have to consider removing
some leaf packages as well.

2/ Ondrej Novy will do a mass-change from git-dpm to gbp on team packages.
Related to this, Piotr will review and amend the team policy if necessary, as
well as work on the pipeline to make sure the policy gets published from salsa.

3/ Finally, there was some conversation about looking into debhelper's
automatic detection of documentation packages (dh_installdocs in compat 11,
policy §12.3 / 3.9.7), to actualy move documentation to the python-$foo-doc
package if it exists. Stuart has taken this action item.

Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #149:
Dew on the telephone lines.