Re: Could somebody change the alioth documentation, have a buster roadmap and know what's missing to move to python 3 entirely.

shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> writes:

> On 06/06/2018, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have also been trying to understand which packages/modules are
> > remaining for python 3 to be the default-python

There is no “default Python” in Debian. Python 2 and Python 3 are
separate run-time systems, and are provided by different packages.

> > $ apt-cache policy python

The ‘python’ package is always Python 2.

To find the default version of Python 3, you want the ‘python3’ package.

> I just read Andrey's mail at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2018/06/msg00024.html . Please
> CC me if somebody replies.

Please subscribe to the forum in order to participate.

> Maybe it would have been better to say that right now python gives
>
> $ python --version
> Python 2.7.15

Yes. The ‘/usr/bin/python’ program is the Python 2 interpreter. There
are no plans yet for that to change.

The ‘/usr/bin/python2’ program is the Python 2 interpreter, and always
will be.

The ‘/usr/bin/python3’ program is the Python 3 interpreter, and always
will be.

There is no command in Debian for “the default Python”, because Python 2
and Python 3 are separate run-time systems that are not fully
compatible. By using one of the above commands, you are explicitly
declaring which Python run-time system to use.

> To be more precise,  I meant to know if 'Bullseye' i.e Debian 11 would
> have python 3.0 as default or not.

Bullseye will have both Python 2 and Python 3 available to install. I
know of no plan to remove either of them in Bullseye.

There is no “default Python” in Debian. To run a Python interpreter, you
choose which major version you want to run; they are not meant to be
compatible, and (as you pointed out) they are both in common use. So
there is no default.

I hope that helps clarify the issue.

--
 \       “Come on, if your religion is so vulnerable that a little bit |
  `\           of disrespect is going to bring it down, it's not worth |