Re: Python 2 removal strategy

Hi Ole,

> I thought of a temporary package split: create a new source package
> "astropy" that inherits of the current python-astropy package, but only
> builds python3-astropy (and the utils + doc, which depend on
> python3-astropy), and update this to version 3.0. Then I would remove
> these binary packages from the python-astropy package. In parallel, I
> would file bugs (severity: important) to remove the reverse dependencies
> of the Python 2 packages (many of them are mine, but also may have
> reverse dependencies).

This is more or less what I ended up doing for the plotting module PyX and I
think it's a reasonable path forward given that there will also be lots of
legacy user scripts out there that are using pyx (and astropy) that don't
need to be broken just yet.

The pyx source continues to build python-pyx and is stuck at the last
version of pyx that supported Python 2. It's only used by users in their
existing scripts for plotting their data and they will keep working for as
long as we have a Python 2 interpreter. The only changes that happen in
python-pyx are adjusting to new dependencies such as python-imaging →
python-pil.

An additional source package pyx3 builds python3-pyx and is tracking
upstream releases meaning new features get added etc. pyx3 isn't a great
source name but then users never see it and certainly never need to guess
it. That said, pyx3 is probably less confusing as a name than astropy vs
python-astropy.

I've wondered about putting some noisy warnings into the python-pyx code
that talks about the need to migrate to Python 3 if you want your scripts to
keep working into the future. I've not done so because I assume that anyone
using pyx probably pays attention to upstream documentation and knows this
story already; at the risk of hijacking this thread, I'd be interested in
the thoughts of others on this.

cheers
Stuart

--