Re: Python 2 removal strategy

Hi Ole,

It would be great have two different package. One of them, the python3 version and maintain the python2 version.

Regards!
Emmanuel

El mié., 10 de ene. de 2018 a la(s) 18:03, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> escribió:
On 10.01.2018 17:06, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am the maintainer of the "python-astropy" package, that currently
> creates packages for both Python 2 and Python 3. Both packages have a
> number of reverse dependencies.
>
> Recently, upstream announced a new version 3.0 of astropy, which
> supports Python 3 only, and I think of the best mid-term strategy: The
> old version 2.0 is supported upstream for ~2 years, and I want to have a
> smooth migration path. I checked the wiki, but could not find good
> information about migration.

Currently discussed. See "Python2 EOL and moving towards Python3" on this ML.

> I thought of a temporary package split: create a new source package
> "astropy" that inherits of the current python-astropy package, but only
> builds python3-astropy (and the utils + doc, which depend on
> python3-astropy), and update this to version 3.0. Then I would remove
> these binary packages from the python-astropy package. In parallel, I
> would file bugs (severity: important) to remove the reverse dependencies
> of the Python 2 packages (many of them are mine, but also may have
> reverse dependencies).
>
> As long as there are substantial problems with the removal of the Python
> 2 support, I then keep the "old" python-astropy package updated. Once
> everything is figured out and we decide to finally kick out Python 2
> support (from Debian-Astro, or from Debian), I would set the remaining
> bugs as RC, and (once they are solved) remove the "python-astropy"
> package.
>
> Does this sound reasonable? And how should I do this technically?

well, astropy is not such a mainstream package that I would mind removing some
of it's reverse dependencies.  If you want to add the additional pain having a
separate Python2 source stack, go for it. I wouldn't want to do that myself.  If
not, just go ahead with Python3 after having identified the reverse dependencies
which are not maintained by yourself.

Matthias

--
Arias Emmanuel