Re: PyPI source or github source?

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:
> Should we be using PyPI as our source of packages? Or github?

I already had packages that use a helper to generate the version
information from the git repository, and therefore need the git metadata
to build from source. I could solve this with a "fake" helper that
uses debian/changelog instead, but this looks more like a hack than a
clean solution. Unfortunately, they did't provide pypi source; otherwise
I would have used them.

Use case:

https://github.com/spacetelescope/pysynphot

The originally "relic" package which extracts the info from git:

https://github.com/jhunkeler/relic

The "fake" relic package is in a Debian patch:

https://sources.debian.net/src/pysynphot/0.9.8.5%2Bdfsg-1/debian/patches/Don-t-use-relic-package-for-version-info.patch

Best

Ole