Re: Backport of python-lockfile and suggested team maintenance

Hi Ben,

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 03:13:09AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> writes:
>
> > However, if maintainers decide from deriving what several people
> > consider good practice of team maintenance and put extra work on me
> > (like creating an extra public repository) I'm not willing to do this.
>
> I'm sorry to say that I am not clear on what that sentence means; I got
> lost around “decide from deriving”.

You decided to use github instead of git.debian.org.  IMHO that is not
following good practice for Debian team maintenance since it makes
contributions (admitedly slightly!) harder.

> The distributed nature of Git – choosing how to share commits between
> repositories – is a core feature, and allows collaboration without
> requiring access to the same filesystem.
>
> As a maintainer of the package, I remain open to pull requests.

The pull request would force me to create my own clone on Github and I'm
not willing to do this extra work, sorry.  If you are interested you can
fetch changes from the backported upload (or in case others might NMUs)
and if this effort from your side outwights the advantages you see from
Github over git.debian.org that's fine for me.

> > There was a longish discussion on Debian Project[1] and my reading of
> > it was that named person maintenance is not the prefered way.
>
> You have said that you “consider it sensible” to maintain a package
> within DPMT, and I have no objection to that position.

Fine.

> The discussion thread you point to has many opinions, some of them in
> support of nominating a team as package maintainer. I have no objection
> to that position.
>
> Are you now expressing the separate position that you consider it *not*
> sensible to name an individual as package maintainer? On what basis? In
> the discussion thread you point to, I don't see anything to support
> that.

DPMT policy[1] section "Maintainer".

Kind regards

        Andreas.