Re: Transition away from git-dpm was: Re: Adopting OpenStack packages

On 03/06/2017 11:18 PM, Brian May wrote:
> On 2017-03-07 08:43, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> I prefer if we use debian/unstable rather than debian/master though, so
>> it is more explicit where we upload that branch.
>
> My reading of DEP-14 is that is says we should use debian/master.
>
> Not that I care much myself, either is fine with me.
>
> Why debian/unstable, and not debian/sid?

Because "unstable" is what we write in debian/changelog, so that's
consistent, and also consistent if we upload to experimental. But I'm
fine either ways anyway, if others would like to use debian/sid because
it's faster to type.

>> Also, it'd be wise to
>> set that branch as default when cloning the repository. ie we shall ran
>> on Alioth:
>>
>> git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/debian/unstable
>>
>> so that debian/unstable becomes the default branch. This has a good
>> chance to avoid confusion between the old "master" (ie: git-dpm) branch
>> and the new DEP14 style that we would adopt.
>
> I didn't know you could do this. Good to know.

The only annoying bit with that thing, is that you can't run it remotely
with a git command (unless there's a new command I didn't know about).
As a consequence, you need to have an interactive shell access and type
the command on the server. Lucky, Alioth provides it and it's ok in our
case. But sometimes, you don't have such access, and it's very annoying.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)