Re: Transition away from git-dpm was: Re: Adopting OpenStack packages

On 2017-03-07 08:43, Thomas Goirand wrote:

I prefer if we use debian/unstable rather than debian/master though, so
it is more explicit where we upload that branch.

My reading of DEP-14 is that is says we should use debian/master.

Not that I care much myself, either is fine with me.

Why debian/unstable, and not debian/sid?

Also, it'd be wise to
set that branch as default when cloning the repository. ie we shall ran
on Alioth:

git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/debian/unstable

so that debian/unstable becomes the default branch. This has a good
chance to avoid confusion between the old "master" (ie: git-dpm) branch
and the new DEP14 style that we would adopt.

I didn't know you could do this. Good to know.

When doing this, we should also make sure to clearly self-document this
using:

# cat debian/gbp.conf
[DEFAULT]
debian-branch = debian/unstable

Last, I would consider it a nice improvement. Not a critical one. So if
others feel like we should keep the git-dpm old layout to avoid
confusing people, I wouldn't mind so much.

I would also suggest making the same change (maybe with an appropriate comment) on the old branch. It should result in people checking out the wrong branch being unable to build with gbp, and hopefully this should also serve as a reference to the correct branch.