Re: Moving off of git-dpm (Re: git-dpm breakage src:faker)

On Feb 07, 2017, at 10:47 AM, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:

>I know the discussion is leaning towards replacing usage of git-dpm
>with gbp-pq. I have nothing against it but, since we are talking about
>solutions for a git-centric workflow, has anyone considered the dgit-
>maint-merge workflow [1]?

As I understand it, there are a few design choices that make dgit less
desirable for this team.

The first is that dgit uses single-debian-patch rather than a series of
patches as with quilt.  The individual patches can be viewed in git but that
implies more work for interacting with upstreams and requires the use of the
git repo to examine the individual patches, making it harder for
non-developers or others outside of Debian to see what we've done to their
packages.

The second is that dgit prefers to use the upstream git repo but our work is
heavily orig-tar based since our main input is PyPI and there orig-tars (or
zips) are the predominant distribution format.  This may not be a showstopper
since dgit does say it will work with tarball workflows, but I don't know how
natural that is.

Cheers,
-Barry