Re: Versioned dependencies with stdeb and pybuild

[Malte Forkel, 2016-12-05]
> Why do you recommend putting the requirements into Build-Depends? Most
> of those packages are currently not available on the build system (I'm
> not pbuilder for this).

because you most probably need it for tests anyway and if tests work
with version >= A, you don't need to translate requirements.txt with
">A.devRELEASED_TODAY_OR_TOMORROW+post7"

if they're not packaged, you should start with the ones without
dependencies, even in your local repository.

> How do you think about an additional option for pybuild that would tell
> it to translate all version specifications provided by upstream into
> Depends?

pybuild doesn't touch versions at all, you mean dh_python3
See https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dh-python/dh-python.git/tree/README.rst
(pybuild is an implementation of dh_auto_foo)

dh_python3 doesn't have such option, but I guess I can add optional
--assume-upstream-versions-match-debians-and-are-sane (after finding a
better name for it)

> >> I added entries for aiohttp and async_timeout to
> >> debian/py3dist-overrides, because these packages are not included in the
> >> existing mapping. Still, most of the dependencies in debian/control were
> >> not versioned. The dependency on python3 was not included at all.
> >
> > please try with DB instead of py3dist-overrides
>
> With DB, you mean Build-Depends?

yes

> >> If possible, I would like to see 'python3 (>= 3.5)' included and have
> >> all dependencies versioned in debian/control. Any advice on how to
> >> achieve this (or explanation why its a bad idea :))?
> >
> > try with X-Python3-Version: >= 3.5
>
> Ok. But I guess this is overwritten the next time I use stdeb?

you can specify X-Python3-Version in setup.cfg and stdeb will read it

> > PS shameless plug: did you try py2dsp (from pypi2deb)?
>
> Not yet. Does it handle versioned dependencies differently?

not really since both use dh_python3
(package name is pypi2deb or you can get it here:
https://github.com/p1otr/pypi2deb)