Re: Test suite in github but missing from pypi tarballs

On 04/21/2016 05:20 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 21.04.2016 16:52, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 04/21/2016 04:10 PM, Edward Betts wrote:
>>> Recently I've come across some Python libraries that have a test
>>> suite in
>>> their github repo but don't include it in the tarball they upload to
>>> pypi.
>>>
>>> Debian binary packages don't normally include the test suite.
>>
>> Why? It's my view that it's a good idea to include it, if it is located
>> within the lib itself.
>
> there is no benefit to include the testsuite if it cannot be run in the
> install location.

Probably I'm too much influenced by what I do in OpenStack, where there
is not only unit tests, but also functional tests. And it makes a lot of
sense to include functional tests, so that they can be launched once the
package is installed (and connected to other services).

> Also for large testsuites a separate binary package would be preferred,

Good point! I probably should start doing that in my packages, it would
make a lot of sense to do so.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)