Re: Properly splitting Python "-doc" packages

Piotr,

On 14 April 2016 at 18:28, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> if you decide to go this way, please use python-bootstrapvz, not
> python-bootstrap-vz (module name is bootstrapvz, not bootstrap-vz)
>
> I copy-pasted your typo in package name so dh_python2 didn't find the
> right directory and didn't do its job.
>
> See attached patch (now it uses private dir)

I've reverted[1] the package split and make a few changes based on
your patch. Nice to see that it wasn't working because of a typo and
not anything more serious.

I also like the idea of not hardcoding a Python version (even a Python
2 one) in some "install" file path, as now could be changed from
"usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/" to "usr/share/".

Thanks again for the help and the patch.

-

Ben,

On 15 April 2016 at 00:57, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Is there really a need for this separation? If the Python modules are
> installed to an application-private directory, then by definition they
> will not be publicly importable. So the Python libraries don't make much
> sense as a separately installable package.

Mostly because of the problem that I faced earlier, where the package
hadn't worked as I expected because of the "*.pyc" file. Turns out
that this was caused by a typo spotted by Piotr. The package is now
being properly in a private application directory.

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/cloud/bootstrap-vz.git/commit/?id=c25f5cc8dd70456fb25e666687f68419c553059e

--