Re: gphoto2 package name problem

Hi Damon,

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 11:55:28PM +0500, Damon Lynch wrote:
> Good news: the developer of gphoto2-cffi has just confirmed that he is happy
> for both the package name of his project to be renamed into
> "python-gphoto2cffi" in Debian, and for the currently unpackaged project
> "python-gphoto2" to be given the Debian package name his project currently
> uses, "python-gphoto2".

Great!

Have you talked to the upstream developer or to the Debian maintainer?
I meant the latter in my previous message.

> As at the time of writing this email, the project "gphoto2-cffi" has not
> made a new release with the changed module name:
> https://github.com/jbaiter/gphoto2-cffi , although as I noted in my previous
> email, it has made the necessary commit: https://github.com/jbaiter/gphoto2-cffi/commit/6de87c88e56b59588fe1be48e9227dfa00382b91
>
> I am assuming it will take a bit of time for for "python-gphoto2"
> (https://github.com/jim-easterbrook/python-gphoto2) to make it into Debian.
> Let me know if I can help, keeping in mind I'm very much a python
> application developer and not a packager! ;-)

Have you filed a request for packaging (RFP) then?

> I'm not sure on which day the deadline for Ubuntu to exclude/include Debian
> packages for the upcoming 16.04 release falls, but given it might be some
> time before the Python project "python-gphoto2" is made into a Debian
> package, is it possible to rename Debian package currently named
> "python-gphoto2" into "python-gphoto2cffi" as soon as is practical? It would
> be very nice if we could have the properly named package
> "python-gphoto2cffi" in Ubuntu 16.04, instead of the wrong name.

Again, that's a question to the maintainer. That package is not maintained
by our team.

Ubuntu 16.04 is already in the feature freeze, so maybe you'll need to ask for
a freeze exception if you want to need this done. If it'll be a sync from
Debian, the changes are high that it will be approved.

--
Dmitry Shachnev