gphoto2 package name problem

Several python bindings exist for gphoto2. The two most prominent are:

"python-gphoto2": https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gphoto2/
"gphoto2-cffi" gphoto2-cffi: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gphoto2-cffi

The second of these, gphoto2-cffi, is packaged in Debian as "python-gphoto2". The first project is not currently packaged in Debian. As you might notice, the name of the Debian package is the same as the first project, not the second. I imagine that is pretty confusing for the casual user / developer who may not necessarily be paying careful attention to package and project names.

Until 12 days ago, both project's module namepspaces clashed with each other. Until the situation was resolved, it was impossible to have both installed simultaneously, because they both required this import:

>>> import gphoto2

The problem was resolved when the developer of gphoto2-cffi agreed to rename the imported module as gphoto2cffi instead of gphoto2. This module name change has been reflected in github: https://github.com/jbaiter/gphoto2-cffi/commit/6de87c88e56b59588fe1be48e9227dfa00382b91
However the project has not had a new release since then.

When discussing the namespace problem, the developer of gphoto2-cffi commented "I created the library mainly for my own purposes . . . and did *not* expect it to end up in the Debian repositories as the default Python bindings for gphoto2"

Now the namespace problem has been resolved, the project python-gphoto2 can be included in python. I very much hope it will be packaged, as it's evolved into a mature project that provides the most comprehensive python binding available to gphoto2. In other words, it provides important functionality that other bindings do not.

This leaves the problem of the confusing Debian package name for the project gphoto2-cffi. Can it be changed to "python-gphoto2-cffi"? Assuming the project "python-gphoto2" is packaged in Debian, what should it be called?

Thanks.

Best,
Damon

--