Re: Packaging/installing jupyter kernels

On 05/08/2016 20:57, Gordon Ball wrote:
On 05/08/16 15:17, Julien Puydt wrote:
Hi,

On 05/08/2016 14:07, Gordon Ball wrote:
Jupyter has been in experimental for a while and presumably will make it
to unstable in the not too distant future.

I don't think that will happen that early... there are a few things not
ready yet and what is there isn't perfect yet. Help is welcome!

I might be able to help. What are the outstanding issues/blockers?

(I'm not actually a DPMT/PAPT member, but this might be a good time to
join).

I'm trying to finish nbconvert, with the notebook to come -- last time I had a look, we (Debian) were lacking javascript packages. So perhaps you need not join the DPMT after all :-P

If you don't feel good with packaging javascript, you could also launch ipython (the one in experimental) and try to run a few commands in them. You should get a few warnings : those are hints something isn't quite right.

Once that is done, what is the correct way for packages providing a
jupyter kernel to install it?

 * manually install kernel.json in /usr/share/jupyter/kernels/<pkgname>?
 * build-depend on python3-jupyter-core and call `jupyter kernelspec
install` during build?
 * runtime-depend and install in postinst instead?
 * (something else)

No idea.

Example: xonsh (a python-based shell) includes a kernel and tries to
install it from setup.py (currently disabled by not having jupyter
available at build time). But it sounds like the question is premature.

See above for ideas what to do -- but you can also try to find out what the better scheme to ship jupyter kernel is... I don't think anybody wondered seriously about it yet. :-)

Cheers,

Snark on #debian-python