Re: Packaging/installing jupyter kernels

On 05/08/16 15:17, Julien Puydt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/08/2016 14:07, Gordon Ball wrote:
>> Jupyter has been in experimental for a while and presumably will make it
>> to unstable in the not too distant future.
>
> I don't think that will happen that early... there are a few things not
> ready yet and what is there isn't perfect yet. Help is welcome!

I might be able to help. What are the outstanding issues/blockers?

(I'm not actually a DPMT/PAPT member, but this might be a good time to
join).

>> Once that is done, what is the correct way for packages providing a
>> jupyter kernel to install it?
>>
>>  * manually install kernel.json in /usr/share/jupyter/kernels/<pkgname>?
>>  * build-depend on python3-jupyter-core and call `jupyter kernelspec
>> install` during build?
>>  * runtime-depend and install in postinst instead?
>>  * (something else)
>
> No idea.

Example: xonsh (a python-based shell) includes a kernel and tries to
install it from setup.py (currently disabled by not having jupyter
available at build time). But it sounds like the question is premature.

> Snark on #debian-python

chronitis on same