Re: Test suite in github but missing from pypi tarballs

On Apr 21, 2016, at 02:54 PM, Tristan Seligmann wrote:

>With my upstream developer hat on: source packages on PyPI are meant for
>end users to install via pip. They often include generated artifacts, and
>don't include things that aren't intended for installation via pip (tests
>being just one of these).
>
>For distribution packaging purposes, the GitHub tags are generally
>preferrable. GitHub makes archives of tagged releases available as
>tarballs, so this is generally a simple tweak to debian/watch.

With my own upstream hat perched precariously on my head, I disagree.  I
generally prefer to include the test suite in the PyPI tarballs and I also
submit bug reports to upstream that don't include them.  Most have been very
accommodating, especially when you can provide a simple patch to their
MANIFEST.in.

I agree with Fred that PyPI tarballs have multiple intended consumers.

I also don't particularly like relying on GitHub generated tarballs.  Despite
popular believe, not every upstream uses GH or even git, signs their tags or
even tags their releases.  But almost *every* Python package releases tarballs
to PyPI.

There are a few very limited cases where upstreams have balked at supplying
their test suites in their PyPI tarballs.  One that I agree with is pip[*]
because it's downloaded like a jillion times a day so in that case, have a
more svelte tarball makes sense.  I think Donald and I talked about them
spinning a pip-dev tarball for distro consumers, but for now I just override
dh_auto_test in d/rules.

Cheers,
-Barry

[*] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/3370