Re: Test suite in github but missing from pypi tarballs

On 2016-04-21 11:23:20 -0400 (-0400), Fred Drake wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Tristan Seligmann
[...]
> > For distribution packaging purposes, the GitHub tags are generally
> > preferrable. GitHub makes archives of tagged releases available as tarballs,
> > so this is generally a simple tweak to debian/watch.
>
> I'd generally be worried if the source package doesn't closely match a
> tag in whatever VCS a project is using, but I don't think that's
> essential, release processes being what they are.
[...]

Agreed, as long as "closely" is interpreted in ways consistent with,
say, tarballs for C-based projects. Consider `setup.py sdist`
similar to `make dist` where the dist target of some projects may
still run additional commands to generate metadata or other files
not tracked in revision control prior to invoking tar/gzip.
--
Jeremy Stanley