Cythonized files & Debian Policy

I have come across an upstream that ships both the cythonized .c file
and the .py source, on my ITP python-neovim-gui [1].

On #python @freenode I have been said that shipping both files is
standard practice, which seems to be backed by the python docs [2].

I understand the need to separate “bundled files for end users”, versus
“actual source release" (aka the need to separate the build step),
essential to both software freedom and the utilitarian view of working
with the source (to fix bugs, fork, etc).

I also understand that the Python folks don't want the end user to
depend on cython and all that means, so they choose the middle ground
of providing both files.

I haven't found previous talk on this, has this topic already been
brought to the Cython/Python folks before?

Cheers,

[1]:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/python-modules/packages/python-neovim-gui.git/
[2]:
http://docs.cython.org/src/reference/compilation.html#distributing-cython-modules

--
Víctor Cuadrado Juan           me@viccuad.me

PGP key ID: 4096R: 0xA2591E231E251F36
Key fingerprint: E3C5 114C 0C5B 4C49 BA03  0991 A259 1E23 1E25 1F36
My signed E-Mails are trustworthy.