Re: Packaging pythonpy

Hi Tiago,

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 09:03:07PM -0300, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
>> Major nit about your package: did you read the Python policy, in particular
>> the part that tells that all new packages should use Python 3 [3]?
>
> Actually I had consulted it, but not read it entirely. I don't know
> why but I thought that the Python 3 requirement was a *nice to have*,
> not a *should have*. Anyway, I've updated[3] the build system to use
> Python 3.

Cool, one little change and it's much better!

>> Re Lintian error, this looks like a false positive. See [2].
>
> You mean that maybe it's better if we add an override instead of a workaround?

Now that you've changed to Python 3, you need to change the shebang from
python2 to python3 anyway…

> I noticed that the test suite wasn't being properly executed and sent
> a patch to upstream[4]. As soon as a new release is made with this
> changed integrated, I'll be adding support for DEP-8 (as suggested by
> Barry Warsaw[5] in the last week), as they are functional tests that
> depends on the package being installed.
>
> I've uploaded the updated package to mentors.d.n[6], but I guess its
> better to wait for a new release integrating the test suite fixes. The
> upstream is pretty fast and responsive.

This command works for me (as a DEP-8 test):

  python3 ./test/test_pythonpy.py -v

Unfortunately dh runs tests before install/link phase, so we cannot run it
during build (without ugly hacks). Though if upstream adds an option to
specify path to executable used by tests, it will help a lot.

> Are you able to sponsor the upload when we finish taking care of those
> details? I've filled an RFS (#819289[7]), but forgot to add the
> "debian-python" mailing list in "X-Debbugs-CC".

Ok, if you add the DEP-8 test (just one 3-lines file), I'll sponsor it.
(If you prefer to wait for a new upstream release, I don't mind of course.)

One small suggestion: if you are using pybuild, you can simplify the install
command a bit:

  dh_auto_install -- --install-args "--install-lib=/usr/share/pythonpy --install-scripts=/usr/share/pythonpy"

It's a bit shorter because you don't need to specify --install-layout and
--root.

Also, don't you think that /usr/bin/py is too generic? Maybe use
/usr/bin/pythonpy or something similar instead? (It's easy to change that,
as the linking is done by packaging rather than upstream buildsystem).

--
Dmitry Shachnev