Re: Packaging pythonpy

Hi Tiago,

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 05:26:05AM -0300, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> On 29 March 2016 at 18:40, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57@debian.org> wrote:
> > You do not need a patch for this kind of thing. Just pass
> > --shebang=/usr/bin/whatever to dh_python2 call in your debian/rules.
> >
> > Also, for debian/packages, /usr/bin/pythonX is preferred over /usr/bin/env
> > pythonX.
>
> Thanks for the tip. I've tried to remove the referred patch and added
> "--shebang=/usr/bin/python" to the already existing
> "override_dh_python2". The problem is that with this modification the
> error "python-script-but-no-python-dep" comes up again. :-(

Looks like I was a bit mistaken — dh_python2 will not replace shebangs for
files in /usr/share. But then you can do this manually using a sed call [1],
that is still easier than a patch.

Re Lintian error, this looks like a false positive. See [2].

Minor nit about your package: please build-depend on dh-python to get a modern
version of dh_python2.

Major nit about your package: did you read the Python policy, in particular
the part that tells that all new packages should use Python 3 [3]?

[1] sed -i 's,^#!/usr/bin/.*,#!/usr/bin/python,' debian/pythonpy/usr/share/pythonpy/pythonpy/*.py
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/743599
[3] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-python3.html

--
Dmitry Shachnev