Re: pybuild sphinxdoc and extensions

[Christoph Groth, 2016-02-25]
> • In order to create the doc package only when building for
>   binary-indep, Piotr’s suggestion of using the clause ifeq (,$(filter
>   nodoc,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS))) does not work: the doc package gets built
>   always.

nodoc is just a flag that developer can use to temporarily skip building
documentation. It's not something you can use to detect if -doc package
is built or not. It's just something you should support.

binary-indep (or build-indep or override_dh_auto_build-indep) is the
right target: -indep targets will be ignored when only architecture specific
files are build

> • Using the override_dh_auto_install target instead of
>   override_dh_installdocs as Piotr suggested in his first message does
>   not work: the documentation build scripts cannot import kwant.  It
>   seems that when dh_auto_install is run the directory to which
>   PYTHONPATH (see below) is set, is empty.

that's because you used versioned path and all files were alredy moved
to /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages

> • The suggestion from Piotr’s fourth message was to use the target
>   override_dh_auto_build and set PYTHONPATH to `pybuild --build
>   -i python3 -s custom --build-args 'echo {build_dir}'`.  This evaluates
>   to (…)/.pybuild/python3_3.4/build but that directory is empty.

did you run it *after* invoking dh_auto_build?

> • Finally, Piotr’s last suggestion (to use pybuild) also doesn’t work:
>   the import of kwant fails.

if you still have this code in another branch, I can take a look