Re: Amend Debian Python Proposal to Include More Python Metadata?

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 6:02 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 22, 2016, at 05:50 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>
>> Forget that pip can fetch files from PyPI and install them for a moment and
>> consider the command ``pip install .``. Fundamentally this is similar to the
>> command ``make install`` right?
>
> Please remind me what the long term plan for this is.  Let's say it's 2021 and
> you and your amazing team of dozens of distutil-sig developers have been
> cranking away the whole time.
>
> What tool will be used to build Python packages?

Whatever people want! At least, that’s my hope. Ideally we get away from
the idea that any particular build system is the right build system (because
the needs of a pure python thing like six.py is vastly different from Numpy
which needs Fortran and other crazy things).

My end goal is, as long as your build system can consume a sdist (or maybe
a repository too, still up in the air, but some kind of source input) and
produce a wheel (whether this is actually a zipped up wheel file or a properly
formatted directory is also still up in the air). Then you have a good enough
build system and that is all it needs to do, it doesn’t need to also implement
installing and what not, that’s some other tool’s job.

> What tool will be used to upload (built/source?) Python packages to
> WarehouseNG?

Either twine, or we’ll fold that functionality into pip.

> What tool will be used to download Python packages from WarehouseNG?

Whatever tool you want! We’ll have defined formats so as long as your tool
speaks those formats it can install them. In the case of already “compiled”
(pure Python or not) binary .whl files it can just download them, unzip,
move into the correct location + install deps and such. For source files
(in a not-yet thought out or done sdist 2.0 thing) it can download the
sdist 2.0 file, install the build dependencies, invoke the build tool for
this package (from above), get the wheel it produced, and then install
that as if it had downloaded it from PyPI.

> What tool will be used to install packages from WarehouseNG into an importable
> location?

Same answer here.

> Cheers,
> -Barry