Re: Python Policy

[Brian May, 2015-10-20]
> Are DAPT and PAPT the same thing?

no such thing as DAPT

> This information should be documented somewhere.

should we also document that we're not OpenStack Packaging Team?

> In my words, for Debian project there is a wiki and a policy. For each
> team there is a wiki and policy that apply for that team.
>
> The wikis are not official policy, only the policy if official policy.
>
> I don't understand why we need two teams for Python in Debian. DPMT and
> DAPT share this mailing list. The only significant difference I see is
> one is using git and the other is using subversion.

there is one HUGE difference, one is about packaging MODULES and the
other one is packaging APPLICATIONS. One provides python-, python3-
and/or pypy- packages, the other cannot do that.

> There are packages that do not provide public modules that are aimed at
> developers. I imagine there are also packages that are end user
> applications that do provide public modules, for end user
> programming. These end user's may require the first group of packages
> aimed at developers too.

if something installs into dist-packages, it should (I'd make it a
"must", but it's just me) provide python-/python3-/pypy- binary
package. Python application should not (again, "must" is much better
here IMO) pollute global Python namespace