Re: Python Policy

[Barry Warsaw, 2015-10-19]
> So we currently have several places where we have team policy described.

no.

Debian Python Policy¹ is something every single packages that extends
Python should follow. There are many teams (more than 4) each of them
can have their own policy that extends DPP.

Please do not confuse DPMT with this mythic "Python team" which doesn't
exist.

> * The Debian wiki
>   https://wiki.debian.org/Python and subpages

wiki is something everyone can edit. It's a place that can help with
various tasks, it can even be a place where policy is prepared, but it's
not a place to store official documents.

> * Another wiki page:
>   https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonModulesTeam

this is wiki page, not a policy

> * https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
>   which comes from the python-defaults (*not* python3-defaults!) in the bzr
>   repo at
>   http://alioth.debian.org/anonscm/bzr/pkg-python/python-defaults-debian

this it THE policy (¹)

> * "PMPT" policy
>   http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/
>   git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/python-modules/tools/python-modules.git
>   except that that page specifically isn't represented in the git repo, only
>   policy.rst

DPMT and PAPT are two different things

> and maybe more.  This is crazy!  We really need to consolidate all this
> information.

why? again, if you want to describe common Python related things - DPP
is the place, if it's team specific, please allow each team to have
their own rules.

> That said, I did a pass through policy.rst in the git repo above and pushed
> the 'git-policy' branch for review.  `git diff master` to see the proposed
> changes.  Here's a summary:

please paste the diff here, on this mailing list

> * PMPT -> DPMT - it seems like we mostly refer to ourselves as Debian Python
>   Modules Team and rarely if ever Python Modules Packaging Team any more.
>   Another opportunity for more consistency.

+1

> * Clarified slightly the wording in policy differences between
>   team-in-Maintainer and team-in-Uploaders.

will comment later, once I have access to git repo

> * Remove all the references to Subversion and add a short blurb about Git,
>   pointing to the GitPackaging wiki page.

as above