Re: [DPMT] radical changes: automation, carrot and stick

On Wed, 2015-10-07 at 14:18 +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> I assume you all like other ideas, like no team in Maintainer, right?

I kind of liked the differentiation between the two options:

- I'm the primary maintainer and welcome other people working on my
  packages (me in Maintainer, team in Uploaders)
- I don't feel primarily responsible for the package but the package
  is useful (team in Maintainer, me in Uploaders)

I think I only added packages in the first category but I also think I
mostly contributed to other packages in the second category.

For most of my packages I'm also upstream and I usually manage so I
would appreciate a heads-up before someone else makes major changes to
my packages.

On the other hand, anything that would make it less work to help other
packages would be positive. Avoiding spending time on trying to get
feedback from people would be good.

I think I'm OK with giving up some authority to my packages in exchange
for lowering the total work required for maintaining all packages. In
general it is probably a net positive for Debian to have less
individual ownership of packages because it creates bottlenecks. I
would welcome having more tools and policy around this.

In that sense, switching to Git can probably help (thanks to everyone
working on that). For example mailing package@packages.debian.org with
a pull request would be great.

By the way, still can't promise I'll be able to do much work on other
packages in the near future ;)

--
-- arthur - adejong@debian.org - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --