Re: python-networkx_1.10-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into experimental

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 05:11:26PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Oct 05, 2015, at 02:51 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
> >In other distributions (Red Hat and Ubuntu), everyone is aware of this
> >kind of issue before uploading, and this kinds of things don't happen.
>
> Ubuntu at least does have a technical solution that helps ameliorate
> archive-wide breakages, and that is -proposed migration.  When you upload
> e.g. to wily, it gets diverted to wily-proposed and to get promoted it has to
> pass a number of tests.  The package and their reverses have to build.  DEP-8
> tests have to pass, etc.  You can get a nice report about which -proposed
> promotions are failing:
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/update_excuses.html
>
> The downside is that you should probably be proactively checking this list
> (poll vs ping) and it can sometimes be difficult to figure out why a promotion
> fails or how to fix it.
>
> But this does mean that the archive itself is very rarely broken, and it can
> be a convenient way to stage package updates that may have effects in parts of
> the archive you might not be aware of.

Isn't this the whole point of unstable→testing?

Ok, the debian testing migration might do really few checks compared to
ubuntu's, but still it's the same thing, and I believe RT would like to
add more checks (at lest dep-8 tests) someday.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  http://mapreri.org                              : :'  :