Re: I've been removed from the Python team

On jeu. 01 oct. 2015 à 18:48:08, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thursday, October 01, 2015 02:11:29 PM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > On Oct 01, 2015, at 07:47 PM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> > >I am a bit worried that the team is handled behind closed walls.
> >
> > I have no particular interest in either grabbing power nor in taking power
> > away from anybody, but I think there may be some value in making team
> > governance more transparent and democratic.  Two reasons come to mind:
> >
> > No one person has to take the heat for uncomfortable decisions.  At some
> > point decisions have to be made for the good of the team, whether they're
> > technical or social.  What might be difficult for one person to decide can
> > be made easier when the burden of that decision can be shared among duly
> > elected representatives.
> >
> > Team members can have more of a say --and more confidence in-- how the team
> > is run.  If you elect someone to a leadership role, you're giving your
> > support to them to make the tough decisions.  And you have the option of
> > voting them out at the next election.
> >
> > I don't think any of that's controversial, given that the Debian project
> > itself is both transparent and democratic, and we always have those
> > governance rules to fall back on.  But that's a pretty heavyweight
> > bureaucracy.
> >
> > Does it make sense to have some lightweight rules for the team?  Is there
> > precedence within other Debian teams?
>
> I've been a team member since, I think, 2008.  This is the first time we've had
> anything like this come up that I recall.  I don't think we have a problem
> with team members not having enough say as a general rule.
>
> For the git migration, the people taking the time to do the work or pay
> attention to the work and provide feedback are driving what happens when.
> There's nothing that being a team administrator has to do with it.
>
> With the exception of the DPL, Debian is not democratic.  It's doacratic.
> Let's not mess with that.

I frankly disagree. GR is another example of democratic process in Debian.

Yes, do-it-o-craty is good, at some point, but this is exactly what brought
Thomas out. So nope, it's not enough.

I'm not a team member, but I think any team has to get some democratic
process inside it if you want it to be fair and efficient, even in hard
situations.

Cheers.

--
PEB