Re: Any suggested procedure if upstream does not provide any build helper like setup.py

On 11/20/2015 04:12 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to package something that has a source.py in the main directory
> of the download tarball and a bunch of Python files ins src/<subdirs>.
> There is no makefile of setup.py.  Is there any suggested procedure how
> to build a package from this?
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

If the project is hosted on something like github, I'd suggest a
setup.py to upstream. And in fact, I'd suggest one using PBR, which is a
wonderful tool, if you didn't know it. Basically, everything lives in
the setup.cfg in a declarative way, and there's no code to write, PBR
does everything for you. There's more than 100 examples of use (and
abuse) of PBR in the OpenStack world (github.com/openstack).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)