Re: Python < 3.5 tests

Hi all,

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:12:22 +1100, Brian May wrote:
[...]
> So it looks like it can't find the tests under Python 2.7 or Python 3.4,
> so it use to work, however under Python 3.5 it now does find the tests
> and they fail.
>
> This left me wondering:
>
> * Why does it not find the tests under Python 2.7, 3.4? What is
>   different about Python 3.5 that it does?

There was a change in unittest autoloader in Python 3.5. It now tries to
import the package even if it has no tests. I do not know if it is an
intended change, or a side-effect of fixing some bug ([1]?). Maybe Robert
can enlighten us here.

This has caused some my packages to FTBFS too, for example see bugs
#800671 and #800139. So if it not an intended change, it should be fixed
upstream.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue22457

> * Why is Python 3.4 still relevant? Hasn't 3.5 replaced 3.4? Why is it
>   being tested by pybuild?

Python 3.4 is still the default version in Debian. We can't do the switch
at once, so the transition is split into three steps:

1) Add Python 3.5;
2) Make 3.5 the default;
3) Remove Python 3.4.

We are currently in the end of first step, AFAIK. And Python 3.4 will
be removed only when all three steps are finished.

--
Dmitry Shachnev