Re: python-networkx_1.10-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into experimental

On Monday, October 05, 2015 05:11:26 PM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Oct 05, 2015, at 02:51 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >In other distributions (Red Hat and Ubuntu), everyone is aware of this
> >kind of issue before uploading, and this kinds of things don't happen.
>
> Ubuntu at least does have a technical solution that helps ameliorate
> archive-wide breakages, and that is -proposed migration.  When you upload
> e.g. to wily, it gets diverted to wily-proposed and to get promoted it has
> to pass a number of tests.  The package and their reverses have to build.
> DEP-8 tests have to pass, etc.  You can get a nice report about which
> -proposed promotions are failing:
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/update_excuse
> s.html
>
> The downside is that you should probably be proactively checking this list
> (poll vs ping) and it can sometimes be difficult to figure out why a
> promotion fails or how to fix it.
>
> But this does mean that the archive itself is very rarely broken, and it can
> be a convenient way to stage package updates that may have effects in parts
> of the archive you might not be aware of.

This is a modified version of britney2, the same tool that Debian uses to
manage the Unstable -> Testing migration.  I believe the Debian release team
intends to add autopkgtests as a blocker for migration and to enable faster
migration for packages that pass testing.

One difference you won't get around though is that in Ubuntu devel -proposed is
not considered suitable for use by humans.  It's only there to support running
the tests and doing transitions.  In Debian, developers are encouraged to use
Unstable since that's how we find out stuff shouldn't be in Testing.

Another, is that there's no equivalent in Ubuntu of an RC bug blocking
migration.

Scott K