Re: I've been removed from the Python team

On September 30, 2015 6:43:09 PM EDT, "Pierre-Elliott Bécue" <becue@crans.org> wrote:
>Le 1 octobre 2015 00:25:55 GMT+02:00, Ian Cordasco
><graffatcolmingov@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Pierre-Elliott Bécue
><becue@crans.org>
>>wrote:

>>the
>>into
>>work
>>with
>>>
>>> Dear Piotr,
>>>
>>> Even if I'm not in the team and thus I do not decide of anything, I
>>> wonder if that's an appropriate answer, regarding the initial
>>trouble.
>>>
>>> We are currently talking about preventing Thomas to maintain his
>>> packages that has DPMT as maintainer, because he uploaded something
>>in
>>> experimental, which is neither a release, nor a distro of any kind.
>>>
>>> Considering the potential trouble it'll lead to (as for an example
>>it'll
>>> probably send my attempt to package mailman3 to nowhere), and the
>>> potential bad consequences for python team (some packages no longer
>>> maintained, etc), does it worth it?
>>>
>>> --
>>> PEB
>>
>>Pierre,

>>chance to formally introduce myself to everyone) but it looks as if
>>Piotr has had several instances in the past where he's had to
>>discipline Thomas. I doubt this is an action that Piotr took lightly.
>>Further, I doubt those packages will suddenly go unmaintained.
>>
>>Please continue working on mailman3, it will benefit the community far
>>more than the outcome of this apparent disciplinary action.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Ian
>
>Dear Ian,
>
>I do not intend to stop working on it, but even if it is not the first
>time (I hope no one would take such an action for one isolated
>mistake), I strongly beleive that such removal from a team where mostly
>anyone is supposed to be at a same level should be calmly discussed and
>debated with mostly everybody of the team in order to reach a
>consensus.
>
>This decision looks like something decided just after an aggressive
>discussion about something which does not look that bad from where I
>sit.
>
>Wouldn't taking some time to think before this removal had been a
>better idea for everybody?

Not really.  Speaking as one of the team's other admins (even though p1otr has taken this all on himself), I fully support the action.

I agree it's unfortunate that it came to this, but I believe that, for now, it's for the best.

If we're going to work as a team, then there has to be collaboration and a willingness to work within team norms.  Don't just judge this one case.  I believe it's best if Thomas takes a break from the team.  If he's ever going to be a part of it in the future, he's going to have to be more collaborative.

I'm not going to get in a long debate, but there comes a time in any volunteer group when you have to decide to cut your losses.

Hopefully we get this sorted after a short break from the team.

Scott K