Re: Trouble with PyDist files and versioned dependencies

On 14/07/15 12:38, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Christopher Baines, 2015-07-14]
>> I have a python package that I want to depend on python-lxml (>= 3.3.1).
>>
>> So, I have put a .pydist file in debian/ containing.
>> lxml python-lxml (>= 3.3.1)
>
> .pydist file is used when other packages build depend on your package.
> (i.e. if you want to control what dependency other packages get, see
> f.e. sqlalchemy source package)

The dh_python2 manpage definitely suggests otherwise:

dh_python2  tries to translate Python dependencies from requires.txt
file to Debian dependencies. Use debian/pydist-overrides or
--no-guessing-deps option to over‐ride it if the guess is incorrect. If
you want dh_python2 to generate more strict dependencies (f.e. to avoid
ABI problems) create debian/python-foo.pydist file.

The guess was correct, just not strict enough. Hence I tried using the
pydist file.

> What you want is debian/pydist-overrides file or to add correct
> Build-Dependency and wait few more days for me to fix #791433

I cannot find a description of what should be in a
debian/pydist-overrides file. I tried just moving the pydist file, and
that seemed to work.

For completeness, I have debian/pydist-overrides containing:
lxml python-lxml (>= 3.3.1)

Thanks very much for your prompt and extremely useful help :)

Chris