Re: Removing some python3-* packages

Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmingov@gmail.com> writes:

> Probably a silly question, but are other libraries like unittest2 also
> being packaged for python3? Another library is mock. That was included
> in the stdlib in 3.3.

One consideration is: What code is written to be Python 2 and Python 3
compatible from the same code base, which achieves this by importing a
module which is backported to Python 2?

In some of my code I'm doing ‘import unit2’ to have features from that
library available in Python 2 code.

Since those features are all in Python 3's standard library, the case
could be made that ‘python3-unit2’ is pointless; but against that is the
fact that a Python 3 ‘unit2’ package means that ‘import unit2’ will work
the same on both runtime versions.

So I'd argue that ‘python3-mock’ and the like do have a place in Debian:
they make it easier to follow the recommended strategy of having a code
base run unchanged on Python2 and Python 3.

--
 \      “Nullius in verba” (“Take no-one's word for it”) —motto of the |
  `\                                   Royal Society, since 1663-06-30 |