Re: Sample DPMT SVN-GIT migration

On May 01, 2015, at 06:30 AM, Stefano Rivera wrote:

>The big difference would be SVN history. That's the interesting part of
>my import.

I wonder if there are opportunities to combine the two approaches?

>> Also, what about patch regime?  The above sets up git-dpm early on,
>> including tag names, etc. so after the conversion you can just start using
>> it to manage patches.
>
>Doing that in a mass conversion worried me, because the dpm transform
>isn't perfectly reversible.

Can you elaborate?

>If we're going to tag uploads in the package's history, I'd like them to
>perfectly correspond to uploads to the archive.
>
>I think conversion to DPM is something we do to all the packages, at a
>single point in time, not retroactively.

Ah, so after we convert, if we decide to use git-dpm, then we set that up just
on the latest snapshot?

>> I know we haven't yet decided on a patch regime, but we should... soon! :)
>
>Yes, that's the big decision in front of us, now.

Indeed.

Also, I just saw that git-buildpackage(1) has gone away.  It seem like all we
have now is gbp(1) but that has a different cli, and I think it has pq
built-in.  Sigh.  I'll have to spend some time getting my non-patch-based
workflow ported over to the new cli.  Maybe it's worth taking the opportunity
to see if pq has gotten better or easier to use.

Cheers,
-Barry