Re: Question about private modules in /usr/share

Hi Tianon.  Thanks for the reply.

On 21 Apr 2015, at 2:41 pm, Tianon Gravi <admwiggin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 April 2015 at 20:21, Potter, Tim (Cloud Services)
> <timothy.potter@hp.com> wrote:
>> It looks pretty good, but I think I have messed up something as my binary gives an import error since /usr/share/dwarf isn’t in the PYTHONPATH:
>>
>> # dwarf
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "/usr/bin/dwarf", line 32, in <module>
>>    from dwarf import log   # pylint: disable=W0611
>> ImportError: No module named dwarf
>
> I'm not an expert by any means, but it's been my experience that the
> more you trust Piotr's pybuild code to DTRT, the more it does. :)
>
> I cloned your package locally and removed both "override_dh_*"
> sections from "debian/rules" and deleted "debian/links" and it
> successfully created a package with just pybuild, including installing
> dwarf and dwarf-manage in /usr/bin.  Is there a specific reason to
> override what pybuild is doing?

Apparently that’s the difference between a Python app and a Python module.  Also I did that because the wiki page said to.  (-:  Maybe someone else will jump in and explain the difference here.

> Here's what I get after removing those sections, building, installing,
> and testing the result:
>
> | # dwarf
> | libvirt: XML-RPC error : Failed to connect socket to
> '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
>
> This seems to be working properly (there's no ImportError), but I
> admit I'm not at all familiar with upstream here. :)

Nice.  That does look like it’s working much better.

Tim.